Organised by CLaC members Hilary Nesi and Benet Vincent, a BAAL Corpus Linguistics SIG event focusing on ‘New Directions in Data-Driven Learning (DDL)’ will take place on Friday 8th June 2018 at Coventry University. All are welcome, but please register soon as places are limited! See below for full details of the event.
- Date: Friday 8th June 2018
- Time: 10.00am to 5.00pm
- Venue: Centre for Academic Writing, Coventry University, CV1 5DD
- Guest speaker: Maggie Charles, University of Oxford
The idea that corpora offer great potential for language teaching/learning has existed for more than 30 years, since Tim Johns first started referring to Data Driven Learning (DDL) in the 1980s. However, this potential has yet to be fully realised in mainstream teaching. This BAAL Corpus Linguistics SIG event aims to show some ways in which DDL is being used in 2018 and discuss how we can integrate developments in technology to help the spread of this still innovative approach. The programme will include an introduction to the BAWE quicklinks project, which has recently started at Coventry University.
We invite proposals for 30-minute presentations to complete the programme. These will discuss an aspect of DDL / using corpora in the language learning classroom. Please send 250-word abstracts to Hilary Nesi (email@example.com) by 21 April 2018.
This event will be free of charge, and will include a buffet lunch.
- Deadline for abstracts: 21 April 2018
- Notification of abstract acceptance by 4 May 2018
- Deadline for registration: 14 May 2018
- Registration form: available here.
- Spaces are limited so sign up soon!